I absolutely love making cupcakes, even more so if it is for a loved ones birthday!
These cupcakes are divine and perfect for any special occasion.
The quantity is 18 cupcakes in total for this recipe.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes:
½ cup quality cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
323g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
313g golden granulated sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan. Place cupcake wrappers into muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix together the cocoa powder and hot water and leave to the side.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Beat the butter until softened; add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy.
- On a low speed add the eggs one-by-one, making sure to mix thoroughly in between additions.
- When the eggs are fully incorporated start adding your dry ingredients by adding 4 tablespoons of the dry ingredients at a time alternating with the cocoa mixture. (Remember to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl and then continue to mix.) Mix until all the dry ingredients and cocoa mixture is incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Divide your mixture into two prepared cake tins and then bake for 25 – 28 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Decorate by piping some Salted Caramel Buttercream on top and shards of Chocolate bark. (Recipe follows for those two.)
Ingredients for Salted Caramel Buttercream:
260g already made salted caramel/ good quality store bought salted caramel
250g unsalted butter, room temperature
500g icing sugar
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter until nice and smooth. Then add half the salted caramel and 4 tablespoons of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add 4 tablespoons at a time and beat in between till smooth on a medium speed till all the icing sugar has been used, then add the rest of the salted caramel and beat again till smooth.
- The mixture should be lusciously thick (not too thick) and smooth.
Ingredients for Chocolate Bark:
200g dark chocolate (I used 70%, it breaks the sweetness of the buttercream perfectly.)
Caramel sweets, chopped up in smaller pieces
Toffifee sweets, chopped in half
Gold lustre, optional
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water. When all the chocolate has melted remove from the heat and set aside. If you have a marble surface this step is crucial to ensure a nice shiny chocolate and a sharp snap when breaking up. Temper the chocolate by pouring a third of the mixture onto your marble surface spreading it thinly with a pallet knife and scraping it toward the middle ensuring all the chocolate get scraped together and removing the excess from the pallet knife as you go on. Continue that process until the chocolate thickens up slightly.
- Return the thickened chocolate to the rest and mix together until the mixture has thickened up slightly. If your mixture is still too warm to touch, repeat the process until it is cooled down to about 29°C-32°C.
- Now you can spread the mixture thinly on a silicone mat or heatproof mat that is placed on a baking tray. Scatter your toffee pieces and Toffifee pieces over your chocolate then lastly dust some gold lustre on to give it a luxurious feel if you wish.
- Let the chocolate harden, when it has harden you can place the tray in the fridge until ready to use. Then break into shards when ready!
Have a lovely weekend everyone!
I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did!