One of my favourite things is chocolate especially dark chocolate. It is rich and has so much depth and for me it is so much more satisfying than milk chocolate. That is just me though, everyone is different.
I love creating new recipes and playing around with known ones. Especially if you know it works, then to make it for others is pure joy.
For this recipe I took one of my favourite Chocolate Cake recipes and used it for making cupcakes. It works well for a big cake or small cakes as it holds its structure very well.
I hope you enjoy this one!
Ingredients for Cupcakes: (20 cupcakes)
200g unsalted butter, cubed
2 tablespoons cocoa dissolved in 100ml boiling water
200g 74% dark chocolate (you can go higher in intensity or lower if prefer), chopped into shards
300g light brown muscovado sugar
4 large eggs
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan. Line your cupcake/ muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Fill a heavy base saucepan with a bit of water and place a heatproof glass bowl on top of that. Put the stove on a gentle heat. Add the butter and chopped chocolate into the bowl. Let it melt, stirring occasionally. When completely melted remove from the heat and set it aside. (The chocolate mixture has to cool of a bit, it must not be hot as it will curdle the eggs.)
- In an electric mixer with whisk attachment, place sugar and eggs in the bowl and beat until light and fluffy on a high setting. Put your mixer on a lower setting and slowly pour in your chocolate mixture and mix until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Mix your flour and baking powder together with a whisk in a separate bowl. Then add the flour mixture and beat until smooth and there is no lumps.
- Add the cocoa mixture and mix till combined.
- Divide the batter between the liners and fill it ¾ full. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- When ready, let the cupcakes cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then let it cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- When cooled completely, decorate as desired.
Ingredients for Vanilla Frosting:
200g unsalted butter, room temperature
1kg icing sugar
10ml vanilla extract
5ml vanilla bean paste
+/- 100ml milk
Vanilla Fudge (optional)
- In an electric mixer on paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth. Then cup-for-cup add the icing sugar and milk until smooth and fluffy. (Make sure in between each addition to mix until smooth and then add another cup.)
- Add the vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste; mix again until everything is incorporated.
- Frost your cupcakes and decorate as desired.
- I decorated my cupcakes with a dollop of caramel on the cupcake and then over the caramel I piped the Vanilla Frosting and topped it off with a small Vanilla Fudge piece. (Recipe for Vanilla Fudge can be found on my website.)
- Place the cupcakes in the fridge to cool completely. An hour before serving you can take them out.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away!